Saturday, August 22, 2009
I was having a perfectly grummy day and when I got back to the cabin there was a package! I got spoiled! It had this whole Dragon theme to it and in the perfect colors!
And there were these cute little dragon markers that I'm just going to have to use on the next project!
And my spoiler made a dragon chart that I can fit neatly into a mitten pattern that was included.
But then there is also this scrumptious yarn that is begging to be turned into something sooner than later........next month at SKA the theme is 'yellow' socks so they may just have to be used there, I can't wait to use it!
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Sunday, July 19, 2009
OK, so this week has been way to hectic......
I did however get several things for my spoilee while in Canada. And I've just about finished the pattern for working on a sweater with my spoiler.....she has never made one and I told her we could work on one together.
And to top that I'm hip deep in the latest pattern I'm making......here is a preview.
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Monday, July 6, 2009
Saturday, July 4, 2009
OK , so I was challenged to make a sock, not just conjure one up mind you, no, the challenge was to make it an original.......
Here is the work after the first two real days of knitting......I'm still looking for a name, and I've got some camp friends helping!
If you have any ideas, let me know.
Thursday, July 2, 2009
1. Chamber of Secrets
2. Harry Potter
3. Ron Weasley
4. Hermione Granger
6. Dark Arts
7. Gilderoy Lockhart
8. Chamber of Secrets
9. House Elf
10. Harry Potter
11. Moaning Myrtle
12. Harry Potter
13. Ron Weasley
14. Harry Potter
17. Ron Weasley
18. Ginny Weasley
19. Gilderoy Lockhart
20. Prisoner of Azkaban
Tuesday, June 23, 2009
But Camp! way fun......now I have to go meet all the people.
Monday, April 20, 2009
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Saturday, April 18, 2009
1. This “Harry Potter” character’s first name comes from Roman mythology. The mythological character’s twin brother is named Romulus. What is the Harry Potter character last name?
2. Which “Harry Potter” character’s first name is the Roman equivalent of the Greed Goddess Athena?
3. In ‘Harry Potter’ World, this wizard has created the Philosopher’s Stone (called the Sorcerer Stone in the US). The historical figure from the 14th and 15th centuries was a scribe and a manuscript-seller who became famous as an alchemist. Who is this individual?
4. What is the first name of a character whose last name is the name of a Bulgarian leader from early 9th century who doubled the country’s territory?
5. Which character’s name is the name of goddess in Indian mythology?
6. “Where the Wild Things Are” tells the story of Max, a young boy sent to bed without his supper for his wild antics. Who created this winner of the Caldecott Medal?
a. Maurice Sendak
7. What was NOT one of the unexpected defense mechanisms that Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Griphook encountered in their attempt to rob Gringotts?
d. The Geminio Curse
8. What was Snape aiming at when he cut off George’s ear?
c. Another Death Eater’s wand hand
9. How much older than James was Lily? (Referring to Harry’s parents, not children).
d. 2 months
10. Food is one of the five exceptions to what magical law?
b. Gamp’s Law of Elemental Transfiguration
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Saturday, April 11, 2009
Who gave Harry an enchanted mirror?
Who said, “Imagine if something went wrong and we were stuck as specky, scrawny gits forever.”
Who said, “Are you planning to follow a career in Magical Law, Miss Granger?”
Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour
What is Ron’s middle name and what was he given in the Will?
Billibus, Dumbledore's Deluminator
What does Hermione want to talk Mr Lovegood about and what is his first name?
Xenophilius; she wanted to talk to him about the symbol in the book she was given,
What is the name origin and what does it mean.
Derived from the word “xenophile,” meaning a person attracted to that which is foreign or alien
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
OK, so I had to make some adjustments to the heel, no worries, just had to frog it a couple of times until I understood the pattern. Hint: Start where the line number starts, even if it shifts sides.....sigh.
So, I discovered that the color yarn is exactly the color of my cat.......now she thinks it is *her* sock!
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
You can follow the sock on my Rav page (tbeck), but the first night of knitting on this kit produced this. There is plenty of yarn so I added an extra repeat of the pattern in the body and a bit of a longer ribbing at the cuff. I can't wait to finish these, they are gorgeous.......and my cute hubby thinks he wants them......he has such dreams......Thanks again Lav!
Monday, April 6, 2009
So, I just got this fantastic package! We managed to get the owl inside before the rain really came down hard, and she was tired! My kit from Lav DD just arrived and she gets extra points for packing, there was a lot in a small box!
So here is a pic before unwrapping, one of the knitting stuff - in all Puff Colors of course, one of the fun stuff and one of the inspirational stuff! WOW! There is a lot in here, she did some great sleuthing to to find out what size I could work in and find a pattern that would be a challenge and still within my ability.
The Cackling Flying Chicken just has to bring a smile to the face, as well as a whole passel of fun spring stuff. Where on God's green earth do you find exploding frogs for the bath? No kidding, there are several! There is even a mouse for the cat!
The Bag deserves special mention as it is just gorgeous! Here I've put in a pic of that alone! I'm going to have to fight my husband off for that one, as he *thinks* he already has designs on it, HA!
There's extra bags for small projects, favorite candies, toys, bookmarks, great stitch markers, a clever little ruler/gauge/bookmark/needle sizer - even home made chili pepper jam! My New Mexico friends will be so jealous! The fiber for the kit is so soft and a great blend, it will be fantastic in the pattern. I'm all inspired to go do that right away so I can show it off!
This is such a great package! Thank you Lav - your the best! This *definitely* goes in the best kit nominations!
Sunday, April 5, 2009
James - Prongs
Sirius - Padfoot
Lupin - Mooney
Pettigrew - Wormtail
2. What are the three Deathly Hallows?
3. What are the four items that belong to the founders of the houses at Hogwarts?
Ravenclaw - tiara
Griffyndor - sword
Slytherin - locket
Hufflepuff - cup
4. What is the Hogwarts Motto?
"Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus," which means "Never tickle a sleeping dragon."
5. What is the Hogwarts school song (Book 1)?
Hogwars, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something, please,
Whether we be old and bald
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
So teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we've forgot,
Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot.
6. What does O.W.L. stand for?
7. What exams do Hogwarts students take at the end of their 7th year?
Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test (N.E.W.T.)
8. What form does Snape's Patronus take?
9. Who takes over teaching divination after Trelawney is sacked by Delores Umbridge (Book 6)?
10. Who is Elanor Cadogan's boyfriend? What is his brother's name?
Saturday, April 4, 2009
This kit has a fun blend of Slytherin colored stuff, stuff for my spoilee's hobbies as a theme, stuff inspired by my fellow students and stuff my spoilee likes and some she may need and not know it. All in all, this has been way fun to put together!
Saturday, March 28, 2009
OK, I'm exhausted. I was dueling all night and only got an hour of sleep. The pattern was fun, and I'd consider making a set for myself, but, um, my dueling partner is doing that.
I found the brown she liked just in time, and managed a set of nice chocolate Bella Mittens. It really is a good pattern for a newer knitter.....even as a first cable pattern.
It's a little snug, until you realize that the Mitten does not slide around on your hand, and then it's great. I did have a hard time getting the gauge, and had to drop to a smaller needle.
Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Sunday, March 22, 2009
OK, done with that little piece of work.......The Devil's snare was a pain as it was lurking in the basement.....which was actually good because the family snake was there and was happy to pose for me. Most of the stuff was around the house, but I had to sneak into the lab for the eyes. Getting to Gringott's is such a pain, so I had to use what was in my pouch....the scar was easy, I keep it with me. Anyway, they are more or less in order, they should be easy to figure out......So, here they all are:
Monday, March 16, 2009
1. On which day did the Order of the Phoenix come to get Harry?
2. During all this chaos with voldemort and the Death Eaters, people still had lives to live and Ron's oldest brother, Bill decided to marry Fleur Delacour? Who were the uninvited guests at Bill and Fleur's wedding?
b. Death Eaters
3. Voldemort had seven Horcruxes hidden in different places. Six of them were hidden at the Gaunt shack, Hogwarts, a cave, inside Harry, inside his snake, Nagini and Tom Riddles Diary. Did Voldemort hide the last Horcrux inside the Malfoy's vault at Gringotts?
4. Why did the Dumbledore's move to Godric's Hollow?
c. The father went to Azkaban
5. Harry and Hermione read a part of "Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore," written by Rita Skeeter. Then they met Dumbledore's brother Abeforth and he told them the same story, just with a few details changed. Which of the following did Aberforth and Rita Skeeter agree on about Dumbdore's past?
b. That Dumbledore was friends with Grindelwald for a while.
6. When Harry and Hermione visit Godric's Hollow, they visit the graveyard to see Harry's parent's graves. Harry walks by a tombstone that we later learn belong to tone of "The Three Broother'. The brother buried there once owned what?
b. The cloak
7. The Trio finds out that Luna had been kidnapped by the Death Eaters , and that they won't give her back until they got Harry Potter. Why did they kidnap Luna?
a. Her father sided with Harry and Dumbledore
8. After Voldemort killed Snape, he left the room and Harry came out from under the cloak. Snape gave Harry some of his memories all the way from when he was a child to just months before. Harry dived into the Pensieve and which of the following did he not see?
c. Snape and Lily having fun in a potions class
9. On the search of the Lost Diadem, Harry finally gets to takl to the Gray Lady. Who was the Gray Lady when she was alive?
c. Helena Ravenclaw.
10. Which of these is not one of Harry or Ron's children?
These pictures must either be posted to your blog or linked to from your blog.
Saturday, March 14, 2009
So, I've been following my swap partner around the school halls, which is not easy to do since the staircase keep moving. I found some things she seems to like and they will find their way into her package.
Why is it so hard to find green wrapping paper?
Saturday, March 7, 2009
My Dueling partner has her package. I just wish I had better luck with the pattern. I had to frog the first cap twice before I found a way to decrease outside the diamond. My diamond was rather sad to, so I outlined it in black to make it stand out better. Hope she likes them.
Here is the whole package:
1. Who likes TeaPots and cat toys? Chrysta the Cursed
2. Who wants Polyjuice so they can have Cullen Eyes? Cliondna Trelawney
3. Who wants postcards and a hardcover book? Elladora Madley
4. Who wants silky terrier? It is not a type of wool but a Dog. Winnifred Wartbobble
5. Who would like a wicked necklace and bloody stupid jonhson hat? Felly Pinkstone
6. Who never had anything made for her? Violet Starfire
7. Who learned how to knit with Maya and Soren? Kaae
8. Who is Pretty as a Peacock Pattern? Lily May Clearwater
9. Who does Fair Isle mittens and Tea for Toe up socks? Mafalda Grubbly-Plank
10. Who likes Cinnamon flavored coffee? Antonio de la Weasley
11. Who likes clever storage systems and mysteries? Mantacora Crimson (doesn't everyone?)
12. Who wants World Peace and Wool Wash? Violette Black
13. Whose Ancient Runes notebook holds the secret of Moonstone earrings? Mona Ravenscroft
14. Whose dog is on a low protein diet? Selena Starfire
15. Who does not have much of a ‘stash’ and favorite scent is Pine trees? Sian Doge
16. When you go to her wish list, you find yourself surfing the net? Suzie Weasley
17. Who really, REALLY misses Hawkins Cheezies, Big Turk chocolate bars? Ursula Longbottom
18. Who likes pencil things and rosewood? Elanor Cadogan
19. Russian nesting dolls and cute stationary are on this list. Winifred Hornswaggle
20. Who likes the Seven Dwarves and the Evil Stepmother? Bernadette Hobsworth
And there you have it, a very eclectic crew!
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Sunday, March 1, 2009
Saturday, February 21, 2009
I found a magical artifacts shop, and it's great to look, but we can't take anything back to the school, it's against the rules, like they think we could get in trouble with that kind of stuff.
So, I found a yarn shop. Mostly I'm trying to figure out what kind of sweater I want to make this year. Violent had some ideas, but I think I'm just going to have to put a spell on some needles and figure it out myself.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Whhoooo Hoooo, my dueling partner (Deana Lockheart) sent me her mitts, and they are great! Perfect color! She also sent along some nice gifts that I'll be wearing to work! And even stitch markers in black and gold! Very cool!
She liked sea colors, so here are the ones I did for her:
1. What momentous event was the reason that the members of the Order of the Phoenix felt it necessary to move Harry out of the Dursley’s house?
d. Harry’s upcoming birthday
2. Who revealed the actual date of Harry’s transfer to Voldemort, despite the misinformation the Order had been spreading around that the move would occur on the eve of his actual birthday?
3. With the use of Polyjuice Potion (and to confuse any possible attack by Death Eaters), six member of the Order were disguised as Harry and escorted out of Privet Drive, along with the real Harry. Which member of the order did not survive that night?
a. Mad-Eye Moody
4. Who informed Harry, Ron and Hermione of the bequests left to them in Dumbledore’s will?
d. Rufus Scimgeour
5. During the wedding celebration for Bill and Fleur, Kingley Shacklebolt sent a Patronus to tell the guests that the Ministry had fallen, Scrimgeour (the Minister) was dead and the wedding celebration was about to be attacked by Death Eaters. What form did the Patronus take?
a. A lynx
6. Escaping from the wedding to London, our three friends found themselves confronted by a pair of Death Eaters, disguised as workmen. This close brush impressed on them the need to find someplace to hide. Where did they decide to go?
b. Sirius Black’s house
7. Kreacher’s animosity towards Harry, Ron and especially Hermione (a Mudblood) was well documented in book five, “The Order of the Phoenix.” His initial interaction with them showed that his attitude had not changed. How did they win him over?
d. By giving him Regulus Black’s old locket
8. Who did they eventually find was in possession of the locket/Horcrux?
d. Dolores Umbridge
9. What did Harry find embedded in the door of Umbrdige’s office?
a. Moody’s magical eye
10. After retrieving the Horcrux, they tried to return to their safe place but they were pursued (actually Yaxley tagged along when they disapparated). This meant that the Death Eaters knew their hiding place and they had to go somewhere else. Where did Hermione take them?
d. To the site of the Quidditch World Cup
The Dursley's House
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
On other news, turns out my dueling partner got the package! I'm so happy she decided to finish the ones she was working on for me. No one has ever knit something for me, and I'm so excited about it.
Monday, February 16, 2009
Sunday, February 15, 2009
At least she is neat and picks up after herself......amazing that everyone here does, and without elves!
I'm going back to knitting my spoilee bad.......
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Friday, February 13, 2009
Well, the topic of the day is dueling. However, they have not published the pattern and even if they did, I'm not at home to print it.
My dueling partner is Diana Lockheart, which is fun because Gilderoy comes over to model sweaters occasionally for me, really, just look..... here he is in the sweater.... http://www.ravelry.com/projects/tbeck/blue-sweater-for-steve here he is:
Wonder if they are related....
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
I'll probably get a late start on the duel, but I'm looking forward to it.
Tuesday, February 10, 2009
So there we are above the pitch and Marvin Melrose whacks the beater smack into me and nearly knocks me off entierly. I am *so* glad dad made me put that sticky spell on my gloves for practice, I would have taken a tumble for sure. I'm so tierd, I'm glad we don't have any more homework tonight.
I want to go back and finish some of the experimenting I'm doing with the bag I'm working on, but *woof* I'm tierd.
Monday, February 9, 2009
Knit - I've really only been knitting for 4 years and only avidly for the last year.
2. Do you spin? What type of spinning do you do?
Yes - though not much lately. I learned when I learned to weave as sort of an understanding on how to do all aspects of the craft. Hand spinning as well as wheel.
3. Are there any other crafts that you participate in?
Yes - I sew, make glass beads, pewter cast, stained glass, pottery, some silver work, weaving, some woodworking, gardening, bone carving, silk banners/flags, right now though, mostly knitting.
4.What are your favorite yarns/fibers?
Wool. Without a doubt. Easiest to teach with, most versitile, and great natural fiber!
5. What are your LEAST favorite yarns/fibers?
Acrylic - it's an oil petrolium based icky man made fiber of little comfort to me.
6. Are there any types/brands of yarn that you are dying to work with but haven’t gotten a chance?
I'm always ready to try something new. There are some geat bamboo and silks out there! Wool and silk blends are great too. Ohhhhh, and I LOVE Alpaca! SUPER soft!
7. What are you currently working on?
Duh! My Kit stuff, my spoilee is indeed getting spoiled!
8. Are their any knitting/crochet techniques that you would like to learn?
There is something called a 'twisted stitch' that I have not had time to look up how to do. I've seen a project with it...... Like this .... but I don't know how yet.
9. Do you have a yarn winder and/or a swift?
I do now - brand new.......My husband's arms were getting tierd.
10. Where/how to you keep you needles/hooks?
Oh, dear......that I'm bad at, they are a little bit of all over the place.
11. Do you like sweets? What are your favorites?
Sometimes. When I do I like carmels or chocolate and carmel.
12. Are you having a birthday during this swap?
Nope, not this time.
Sunday, February 8, 2009
Happy me, I've made some swatches and now know exactly what I want to do on this project!
Saturday, February 7, 2009
Well, at least I know what I want to do for my spoilee! I found exactly what I was looking for on that account.
Friday, February 6, 2009
Thursday, February 5, 2009
Antonio dela Weasley—yarnguy716
Chrysta the Cursed–Terese
Lily May Clearwater–lemonblondie
Winifred Hornswaggle –angel101580
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
I'm not sure when I learned......I do know that I wanted to learn and a few weeks later, I woke up one day and knew that I knew how. I know, weird, and fits in here well at Hogwarts I suppose, but it is the truth of the matter. I did find out much later that I learned a very old style.....
As for a first project, it was as most of my projects, way beyond my skill. It was a set of thick boot socks in red and black, I still don't think I've finished them......in fact I know I haven't. I was attracted to them for what I thought they would look like. There was of course no actual pattern, just a vague description on sock basics and how to measure what I needed. I'll see if I can't make a picture of it, well, if I can even find the things.
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Now I just have to figure out where she is....... This place is still very confusing, I'm sure I'll stop getting lost eventually.
Monday, February 2, 2009
I've met some great friends, even if some are in Slytherin, I don't know why some people say such awful things about them, they were quite nice actually.
Today was filled with classes, finding my way around, ripping out my knitting and restarting....annoying. This would not be so bad if I did not like the original pattern the self striping yarn gave me the first time.
Let's see......after being struck by lightening awhile back, some things just don't want to work right, and I spent the better part of the evening getting the mailer daemons to do my bidding.
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Friday, January 30, 2009
I suppose I have to take one last trip to Diagon Ally to pick up the last of my stuff.
Thursday, January 29, 2009
My owl is going to get quite the work out this year I'm afraid.
I think I'll go to my room and knit a nice pair of socks.