Monday, April 20, 2009
Sunday, April 19, 2009
Saturday, April 18, 2009
1. This “Harry Potter” character’s first name comes from Roman mythology. The mythological character’s twin brother is named Romulus. What is the Harry Potter character last name?
2. Which “Harry Potter” character’s first name is the Roman equivalent of the Greed Goddess Athena?
3. In ‘Harry Potter’ World, this wizard has created the Philosopher’s Stone (called the Sorcerer Stone in the US). The historical figure from the 14th and 15th centuries was a scribe and a manuscript-seller who became famous as an alchemist. Who is this individual?
4. What is the first name of a character whose last name is the name of a Bulgarian leader from early 9th century who doubled the country’s territory?
5. Which character’s name is the name of goddess in Indian mythology?
6. “Where the Wild Things Are” tells the story of Max, a young boy sent to bed without his supper for his wild antics. Who created this winner of the Caldecott Medal?
a. Maurice Sendak
7. What was NOT one of the unexpected defense mechanisms that Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Griphook encountered in their attempt to rob Gringotts?
d. The Geminio Curse
8. What was Snape aiming at when he cut off George’s ear?
c. Another Death Eater’s wand hand
9. How much older than James was Lily? (Referring to Harry’s parents, not children).
d. 2 months
10. Food is one of the five exceptions to what magical law?
b. Gamp’s Law of Elemental Transfiguration
Sunday, April 12, 2009
Saturday, April 11, 2009
Who gave Harry an enchanted mirror?
Who said, “Imagine if something went wrong and we were stuck as specky, scrawny gits forever.”
Who said, “Are you planning to follow a career in Magical Law, Miss Granger?”
Minister of Magic Rufus Scrimgeour
What is Ron’s middle name and what was he given in the Will?
Billibus, Dumbledore's Deluminator
What does Hermione want to talk Mr Lovegood about and what is his first name?
Xenophilius; she wanted to talk to him about the symbol in the book she was given,
What is the name origin and what does it mean.
Derived from the word “xenophile,” meaning a person attracted to that which is foreign or alien
Wednesday, April 8, 2009
OK, so I had to make some adjustments to the heel, no worries, just had to frog it a couple of times until I understood the pattern. Hint: Start where the line number starts, even if it shifts sides.....sigh.
So, I discovered that the color yarn is exactly the color of my cat.......now she thinks it is *her* sock!
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
You can follow the sock on my Rav page (tbeck), but the first night of knitting on this kit produced this. There is plenty of yarn so I added an extra repeat of the pattern in the body and a bit of a longer ribbing at the cuff. I can't wait to finish these, they are gorgeous.......and my cute hubby thinks he wants them......he has such dreams......Thanks again Lav!
Monday, April 6, 2009
So, I just got this fantastic package! We managed to get the owl inside before the rain really came down hard, and she was tired! My kit from Lav DD just arrived and she gets extra points for packing, there was a lot in a small box!
So here is a pic before unwrapping, one of the knitting stuff - in all Puff Colors of course, one of the fun stuff and one of the inspirational stuff! WOW! There is a lot in here, she did some great sleuthing to to find out what size I could work in and find a pattern that would be a challenge and still within my ability.
The Cackling Flying Chicken just has to bring a smile to the face, as well as a whole passel of fun spring stuff. Where on God's green earth do you find exploding frogs for the bath? No kidding, there are several! There is even a mouse for the cat!
The Bag deserves special mention as it is just gorgeous! Here I've put in a pic of that alone! I'm going to have to fight my husband off for that one, as he *thinks* he already has designs on it, HA!
There's extra bags for small projects, favorite candies, toys, bookmarks, great stitch markers, a clever little ruler/gauge/bookmark/needle sizer - even home made chili pepper jam! My New Mexico friends will be so jealous! The fiber for the kit is so soft and a great blend, it will be fantastic in the pattern. I'm all inspired to go do that right away so I can show it off!
This is such a great package! Thank you Lav - your the best! This *definitely* goes in the best kit nominations!
Sunday, April 5, 2009
James - Prongs
Sirius - Padfoot
Lupin - Mooney
Pettigrew - Wormtail
2. What are the three Deathly Hallows?
3. What are the four items that belong to the founders of the houses at Hogwarts?
Ravenclaw - tiara
Griffyndor - sword
Slytherin - locket
Hufflepuff - cup
4. What is the Hogwarts Motto?
"Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus," which means "Never tickle a sleeping dragon."
5. What is the Hogwarts school song (Book 1)?
Hogwars, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something, please,
Whether we be old and bald
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
So teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we've forgot,
Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot.
6. What does O.W.L. stand for?
7. What exams do Hogwarts students take at the end of their 7th year?
Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Test (N.E.W.T.)
8. What form does Snape's Patronus take?
9. Who takes over teaching divination after Trelawney is sacked by Delores Umbridge (Book 6)?
10. Who is Elanor Cadogan's boyfriend? What is his brother's name?
Saturday, April 4, 2009
This kit has a fun blend of Slytherin colored stuff, stuff for my spoilee's hobbies as a theme, stuff inspired by my fellow students and stuff my spoilee likes and some she may need and not know it. All in all, this has been way fun to put together!